Container design

Cyan container design
I’m certainly more of a maker and less of a science-oriented person so I tend to approach problems through trial-and-error, leaning heavily on the error side. I’ve been experimenting with different artistic and functional containers for the CYAN device as well as experimenting with different methods to decrease the mineralization time frame with a possible downstream connection to VIOLET. Due to VIOLET producing a stream of C02 at approximately 1 liter per second containing the powdered Ca(OH)2 within a filter becomes problematic. Each of these design explores possible solutions to a filter-less system allowing the powdered Ca(OH)2 to become airborne within the chamber. Currently many of my attempts are still under testing or in various stages of construction all with limited results in effectiveness.

I’m using these primary and secondary goals to help guide my research and design development.

Primary goals
Shorten mineralization timeframe
Connection to Violet

Secondary goals
Ease of use
Ease of construction
Potential uses for output

Forced air vertical/downward
Air is introduced from the top drawing humidity through a venturi style inlet before entering the lower sorbent holder. This is the most developed direction so far and has only recently become a physical realization that I can test. The longest run has been 3 hours with no noted change in sorbent weight. I have run this unit with a C02 cylinder connection once. This was inconclusive as I believe more C02 was lost due to leaks than was introduced into the chamber.
One attempt has been made to run air through a Ca(OH)2 slurry however weighing afterwards proved to be rather difficult. The solution needs to be removed to dry in order to get an idea of the weight difference and this seems to leave quite a bit in the chamber. I was able to remove the slurry and dry in in a low temperature oven, the results showed no change in weight however with the amount lost in the process I believe some carbon was captured.

Current known issues for this design

1. Sorbent movement
    The Ca(OH)2 seems to pile towards the edges
    A concave bottom might increase sorbent movement but could require increased airflow

2. Backflow
    Currently the flow starts strong and seems to last for about 30-40min before the filters
    become clogged increasing back pressure and limiting the sorbent movement.

The introduction of a mesh screen or baffle at the exhaust outlet might slow down
    clogging but likely not eliminate it.
    Adding a blast gate would allow the user to block the flow to clean the filters but
    increases user needs.

3. Humidity
    The humidity level seems low but longer runs are needed

4. Fan
    The fan is loud and might need a timer depending on the run time or be replaced with a
    different style.

Tumbler/rotating chamber

Ca(OH)2 tumbles inside a rotating chamber, could possibly be mixed with larger aggregate to increase separation. This is currently under construction. I like this concept but I’m unsure how it would connect to Violet without something to slow the airflow before entering the chamber.

Solutions
Eliminates forced air to move the sorbent
Humidity is easily controlled
Long runs are easily accomplished with low sound

Issues
Lesser sorbent to air contact
Difficulty in connecting to Violet

Forced air in cyclonic motion
Air is introduced at an angle from the lower portion of a cylinder creating a circular movement of the Ca(OH)2

Solutions
Increase in sorbent movement with increased airborne suspension
Backflow could possibly be managed better with a filtered lid matching the diameter of the cylinder

Issues
Humidity levels could prove difficult
Noise level and length of run time
Likely collecting of sorbent on sides or center.

Below are some designs that experiment with an enriched or pure Co2 atmosphere. I’ve noted a 1 gram weight difference when the Ca(OH)2 is exposed to a pure Co2 environment for as little as 1 hour.

2 Likes

Great progress so far! Thanks for documenting.